“The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.” – Peter F. Drucker
#2 Know Your Customer!
As with advertising and marketing the second rule of utilising social media is to understand and know your audience.
When deciding upon the use of social platforms a business MUST consider it’s target audience, the business needs to understand whom it wishes to engage and then work from there. In order to fully understand customers and the chosen target audience a business must decide upon and implement a set of marketing metrics in order to gain a developed understanding.
- Understand your target market’s point of view and activities. Think demographics, psychographics and past purchases, as well as interests and priorities.
- Consider influencers, buyers and end users. Most purchase decisions, including consumer purchases, are made with input from more than one person.
- Know where your audience engages on social media. Not everyone is on Facebook.
- Consider your audience’s social media behavior. Does your market lurk, share or create social media content? What incentives will make them act?
The more you know your audience, the easier it will be to engage with them on social media and get the results you’re looking for.
- Simple Social Strategy = Success (reecemedway.wordpress.com)
- Social Media and it’s Implication to Businesses Today (anibek.wordpress.com)
- Why Marketers Get Social Media Wrong (socialmediaexplorer.com)