Social media is a great tool for businesses to implement and use, however one of the biggest hurdles many businesses face when making use of social networks is how to make use of a tool that is mainly for personal use have a corporate spin? The answer is to decide upon and implement a social media strategy.
In order to implement an effective strategy the business firstly has to follow rule one of social media use.
#1 Determine your business objective for using social media
This may sound simple and many would argue would be the first step many businesses would take when trying to decide upon social strategy however for many businesses both small and large this is the step that many struggle on. This first rule is quite possibly the only rule that underpins and can determine the success of an organisations social success.
Clear direction = Clear results
In order to make the use of social media worthwhile the decision must first be made to understand the 3 W’s.
WHY are we using social media?
WHAT are we using social media for?
WHEN are we expected to see results?
By first answering the above W’s a business will gain a sense of direction in which to proceed with the use of social media. This gives more information to decision makers to aid in the creation of the next step in setting clear,concrete and measurable objectives.
An example of some objectives set by small businesses are as follows ;
- Build your brand by getting people to recognize your name and associate it with your product.
- Attract new customers by driving traffic to your social media page or company website.
- Support sales by answering prospects’ questions and showing them how to use your products or services.
- Engage with your fans by giving customers a reason to talk about your brand and encourage others to purchase from you.
By setting specific objectives, you establish markers for your business. This helps define your social media metrics and will make effective social media marketing easier for you to do.
- How to Setup a Social Media Business Strategy (socialmediaexaminer.com)
- How To Connect Your Business Objectives To An Effective Social Media Marketing Strategy (business2community.com)
- Put Social Media Marketing Strategies To Work For You (learningnation.wordpress.com)